Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fiero won't start  (Read 14123 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Fiero won't start
« on: July 09, 2020, 10:16:11 am »

Here's the story...

Wanted to go for a drive last night and couldn't get my '88 GT to start (manual transmission).  Cranked, but wouldn't kick over.  Eventually I tested the battery, decided it was low and charged it overnight.  This morning I checked the battery, around 14 Volts, and reinstalled it. 

Once again, tried to crank, but wouldn't start.  Then, EVERYTHING went DEAD.  No lights, no gauge movement with the key on, nichts, nada, nothing.  Then my auto-door lock activated... 

EVERYTHING was ALIVE.  So I tried to restart the car.  Tried to crank, then everything died again until once again everything came back.

Any ideas?  What's the fix?

Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Fiero won't start
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 10:26:55 am »
Check your battery connections. Also check where the ground cable connects to the shock tower metal, and check where the red wire connects to the block under C500, on the bulkhead. You might have a bad battery cable - broken inside the insulation at the connector. Or you may have disturbed a "tired" fusible link. There is one that feeds the entire front half of the car, and will cause your symptoms. It's the red wire that disappears under the plastic ledge, above the battery.

I'm also thinking this is a separate problem from the original "no start" issue.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:36:08 am by Raydar »

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 05:36:45 pm »
You need two people.  One cranks while other observers voltage at battery with a manual meter.  Too much drop is bad battery.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 05:44:10 pm »

Had it towed to the garage.  God Bless AAA.

Probably either the starter or the fuel pump... although I smelled fuel after cranking. 

The joy of owning a 32 year old car.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 06:07:40 pm »
If it cranks OK, likely not the starter.  I was suspecting a ground, but I agree, likely 2 separate issues.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 07:32:31 pm »
If it smells like gas after an attempt to start, you could have a leaking injector, likely the cold start injector.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 07:47:44 pm »
None of that would explain it losing complete power, though.  Obviously, there's fuel, but no spark.  Ignition module, ignition coil, or pickup coil. 

To determine if there's a stuck injector or cold start injector that's flooding it, hold the accelerator all the way on the floor while trying to crank.  This is the "Clear Flood" mode. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 08:03:44 pm »
That would be issue #1.  Complete power loss would be a short or a bad ground.

montegut

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 07:12:25 am »
Similar thing with my 87 GT. One “non-Fiero” mechanic said it was too hard to fix intermittent electrical problems on a Fiero. Slowly got worse and worse to the point no power at all. Had my daughter in the car trying to start it and she screamed “it’s alive” when the gauges jumped. I had been checking the battery cables.  Changed the positive cable and problem solved. Took the insulation off the cable and it was corroded inside. Looked fine from outside.