Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Bump stop location  (Read 14368 times)

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
Re: Bump stop location
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2020, 09:17:46 am »
You may be OK, that is what the testing is for.  On my chevy I had a scant 1 3/4" upward travel in the rear (rear end to frame rail mounted short urethane bump stop) and needed to optimize where it occurred on the shock.  Don't forget about the need for downward travel as a tire goes over a pothole or dip.  This is why placing the car at static height within the shock travel is important.  With the Bilstein's they are raising rate.  Meaning softer at ride height and getting progressively (quickly) stiffer along the travel length.  Starting up the travel would have put me in a different valving range.  This car is set up pretty harsh to keep it from bottoming and I still smack the rear bump stops pulling out of my driveway every time.  But riding along it is fairly compliant.  I was starting from scratch using custom mounts and had the luxury to select just the perfect shock from their long list of options.   If you are not out of travel (up and down) and like how it rides there is nothing to worry about.  I do not know how many options are out there for the Fiero but I fear it is small. 

What Steve said about spacing the shock down is true.  The only negative to that in my case was ground clearance on the bottom end of the shock in that particular application.

Mike_21

• View Profile
Re: Bump stop location
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2020, 07:44:13 pm »
old trick, put a zip tie around shock/strut shaft and see of far it moves up during a ride.  That will tell you how much travel you are using and how much lower you can possibly go before bottoming.

Always had a rubber band on the front forks of my track bike... Worked like a charm.