Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fall 2020 color tour?  (Read 16960 times)

scottb

• View Profile
Re: Fall color tour?
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2020, 08:08:47 am »
The only difference is the additives. All the refineries in Texas and Louisiana are tied in to the same pipelines

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2020, 08:15:41 am »
Of course, not all companies get gas from those refineries.  Illinois, Oklahoma, Montana, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, etc also have oil wells.  There are offshore wells, as well.

Then there is Exxon, which I try to avoid, if only the stations.

Even Georgia and Alaska have oil refineries.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2020, 08:46:17 am »
All of the pipelines are tied together, same as the power lines, or the telephone lines..... the distributors open the spigot and fill their tanks. Even if the oil company owns the refinery the output is still still put in the same pipeline as everyone else. They have a meter at both ends to make sure what they take out is the same as what they put in.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2020, 09:57:53 am »
All of the pipelines are tied together.......................................

Back when the Colonial Pipeline broke, down in Louisiana or Mississippi, we had a serious shortage of supply.  BP stations still had gasoline and their prices immediately went up.  I remember reading a newsfeed that BP pipelines came in from the north like from Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio and weren't a part of the pipeline break, and thus their supply line hadn't been interrupted and the price increase was unjustified.

Colonial is the sole pipeline through the southeast, running from Texas all the way up to somewhere around Maryland or New Jersey, and like Scott said, all the producers and refiners send their product through this pipeline. 

This site says there are no oil refineries in Georgia.   https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/PET_PNP_CAP1_DCU_SGA_A.htm
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 10:00:08 am by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2020, 05:34:58 pm »
I'm not sure of the year, but there was a storm that hit New Orleans.  You may recall that some of the refineries there were damaged.  I was sent down there with a group to see what could be done.  At that time, there was a low-production oil refinery in Georgia.  Southeast Georgia, IIRC.  Ultimately, the pipelines were not connected, and the oil had to be trucked around.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2020, 05:41:04 pm »
All of the pipelines are tied together, same as the power lines, or the telephone lines..... the distributors open the spigot and fill their tanks. Even if the oil company owns the refinery the output is still still put in the same pipeline as everyone else. They have a meter at both ends to make sure what they take out is the same as what they put in.

The telephone lines are connected out of necessity, but not necessarily physically.  The power lines are a bad example.  There is an Eastern power grid.  It covers just about everything East of the Mississippi.  You may know that California is almost separate from most other states, but parts of California are separate from most of California.  This is one reason why there are so many power problems in California.

At one time, it was explained to me that the power grids were divided by major fault lines.  That is not strictly true, but there is a lot of truth to that.

For the pipelines, there are different systems.  In some places, the pipelines run within 20 yards of each other, but do not connect.  At one time, there was a connection, briefly.  One issue that had to be addressed was a break in any pipeline, and the potential impact a break could cause.  There are only a handful of companies pulling oil from the ground.  Take Exxon-Mobile, for example.  Many places get their fuel from Exxon-Mobile, then do their own additives, including ethanol.  My understanding is that even Exxon-Mobile has different segments that aren't connected.  My understanding is that there are at least 3 segments, but I'm not sure of the companies involved.

Some years ago, I worked with the president of the RCGA.  Well, I still work with the person, but he is not currently president.  Anyway, 7 of us went to a big meeting, and the pipelines were one of the topics of discussion.  My capacity was not for the oil; I was the designated fall guy.

Ultimately, the oil pulled from the ground falls into one of several categories.  Oil pulled from sand is one of the worst categories.  The refineries all do the same thing, given the same categoey of oil.  That rrfined oil is then trucked to various central centers.  Eventually, fuel (gas) is mixed and trucked to gas stations.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2020, 08:37:41 am »
So far we have
Scott
Ralph
Me
Larry
Gabe is checking with the wife
Pat is contingent upon the wellbeing of his housemate.

Should be a good-sized group, if everyone can participate.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2020, 01:24:31 pm »
Sunny, here.  Hope it's nice there, too.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2020, 01:45:03 pm »
Sunny here, too.  When I went out about 11, it was 52*.  Forecast high for today is 65* and tomorrow, sunny and 65*.  It may be a little cooler north and up on the Lookout Mountain Parkway. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2020, 02:24:14 pm »
37, this morning.

Lots of colors, here.

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2020, 06:49:24 pm »
How to find your lost two radios. Look “everywhere” for them. Give up. Order new three pack of radios. Look for a different thing, find missing two radios. 🤦‍♂️
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 07:12:11 pm by Wreck It Ralph »
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2020, 06:52:22 pm »
That's how it works.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2020, 06:52:50 pm »
No Richard C., lately?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2020, 07:46:10 pm »
I haven't heard from him in a couple of months.  He usually calls once in a while.  He must not be having any problems with the Formula. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2020, 10:09:14 pm »
Before COVID, I thought he attended most of the meetings.