Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fall 2020 color tour?  (Read 16957 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Fall color tour?
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2020, 10:39:26 pm »
Some.  Work prevented attending most.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2020, 10:41:26 pm »
On the interweb, Bailey's BBQ shows closed on Sundays.

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2020, 11:16:55 pm »
Waffle House is always open... just saying.
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2020, 04:05:37 am »
Not a bad alternative.  There is one nearby.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2020, 05:42:32 pm »
Well, it was a good run, and good to see old faces, and to meet new faces.

Thanks for setting this up, Fierofool.  Eveeyone started together, stayed together, and finished together.

Gabe, sorry I didn't get to say 'bye to you and your wife.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2020, 05:59:52 pm »
A heads up from Wreck It Ralph let me know that our chosen BBQ restaurant isn't open on Sunday.  Seems practically every BBQ restaurant in the area isn't open on Sunday.  So, this morning at 6 AM, I'm frantically searching.  I finally found one and put it into the schedule.

The cruise went very well, other than the short detour I took the group on.  Lots of nice scenery and deep rolling hills.  There were some very good curves, but we weren't out to play today.  We kept it at the speed limit or within 5 mph of it. 

Our path took from Cartersville to Rome, then up to Summerville.  We traveled over through Menlo and in Cloudland, turned onto the Lookout Mountain Parkway, taking a brief pause at the Lookout Mountain Hang Glider Port.  W
Though the cloudy overcast turned into a beautiful sunny day, weather conditions must not have been favorable for them since no one was flying. 

We continued on to Lookout Mountain and passing Ruby Falls on our way down the mountain into Chattanooga.  As began our return we stopped at Buddy's BBQ in East Ridge, TN.  The food was good and good portions, too.  Good selection but they were missing fried okra and Brunswick Stew on their menu.  Still worth another chow down when in the area. 

Unfortunately, the leaves haven't reached full color in the NW side of Georgia.  There were some beginning to change, but not in their full beauty, yet.  We had some concerns that Hurricane Zeta had blown all the leaves off, but that wasn't the case.  The trees were still loaded. 

A good turnout today with Scott and Leigh-Anne, Gabe and Shea, Ralph and his wife and son, Larry, myself, and a surprise participant.  GTRS drove in from St. Louis after Trick-Or-Treating with his kids last night.  He made the full cruise with us and as we left him at the restaurant, he was about to head back home. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2020, 07:49:39 am »
Thanks for welcoming my participation.  You should have seen the look on your face.  I wish I had a picture of that.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2020, 07:52:37 am »
Dunno about anyone else's MPG, but my Fiero got 21.7 MPG on the tour.  Considering how often I had to brake to keep the idle from running away, not terrible.  Most of the tour was not fast enough to get my transmission into 4th, but I'm not sure the tach ever got over 3K RPM.  I never opened the throttle all the way, which is perhaps why the transmission did not downshift on the hills.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2020, 08:02:53 am »
Some thoughts on yesterday's tour.

Although not RFTH-type driving, we did take some (very slow) turns.  My Fiero's steering was tight.  Although I normally roll through turns like most of the turns we took, that was not the program.  Still no idea on the bump stops.  Clearly, my Fiero was down on power, and running a bit rich.  The exhaust leak did not help.

It seemed that Fierofool's 5-speed got off the line quickly, but then did not accelerate in 2nd.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2020, 09:59:34 am »
Getting to the starting point, I used cruise the whole way at the speed limit.  I got 35 mpg.  At our fuel stop on Chattanooga I had averaged 29 mpg.

I drove very conservatively on the cruise.   Never really punched it.  I usually hit 4000 to 4500 rpm  in 1st thru 3rd in my normal driving.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2020, 10:38:09 am »
Surely someone took pictures of this cruise. (And don't call me Shirley.)
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2020, 01:21:34 pm »
Shirley didn't take any.  I brought my camera, but never took any.  I saw Michael taking a bunch.  I'm sure that when he gets rested up a bit, we'll see them.  I also saw some taking pictures, especially when we stopped at the hang glider port on Lookout Mountain Parkway. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2020, 07:13:32 pm »
Scott also has pictures.

I took pictures, but am not pleased with how they turned out.  It looks as if I moved the camera.  The pictures are blurry.  Maybe the lens wasn't clean.  There are big streaks.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Fall 2020 color tour?
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2020, 09:39:36 pm »
Almost forgot.  Thanks to all who participated in this event and made it a success.

While we were gathering at the starting point, 2 people walked up to take pictures of our Fieros.  One of them talked with some of us for a bit.  It seemed that he had some familiarity with Fieros, and that his sister had owned a Fiero from new, back in the '80's.

At the overlook, a couple spoke with me about the Fieros.  He asked me if we were in a club.  I told him GFC.  He asked the area in which we were based.  I told him Atlanta, except me.  He said they were also from Atlanta, then continued to ask more questions.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:33:23 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Fall 2020 color tour?
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2020, 11:45:00 pm »
During the tour, the voice quality through my radio was...less than great.  Did anyone else get poor audio, or was it just my radio?