Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: I need some help!  (Read 3935 times)

LostCause

• View Profile
I need some help!
« on: October 04, 2021, 10:54:20 pm »
Hello I live in griffin Ga and my daily fiero is in need of an engine swap if you know anyone who is willing to help let me know I would really love to have my fiero back on the road!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: I need some help!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 08:49:25 am »
What engine/transmission does it have and what is the new engine/transmission? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 09:29:50 am »
We got a lot of swaps going on right now. Are you just needing a direct replacement or upgrade? Your 3.4 swap will be the fastest besides another 2.8. Unless you have the 2.5 duke then,… ?
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

LostCause

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 03:06:53 pm »
That was another thing i wanted to ask about I'm wanting to buy another engine so I want to put in what ever you recommend. Unless you think y'all can fix a 88 iron duke oil balancer my engine is still good but my balancer blew up and destroyed the crank sprocket as well. I've been looking for 6 months and I've had no luck finding a oil balancer or crank sprocket?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 05:43:01 pm »
If you're upgrading to a V6 you will need the ECM and it's mounting tray, and the engine bay wiring harness to match your transmission.  Automatic and manual engine bay harnesses are different.  If you can find a drop-out engine, everything on the 2.8 engine will transfer direct to a FWD 3.1 or the 93-95 Camaro/Firebird 3.4. 

Wreck It Ralph had a lead on an 88 engine up in Virginia.  Don't know if he bought it or if it's still available.  I think it was a rebuilt or maybe a crate engine. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 06:26:27 pm »
That was another thing i wanted to ask about I'm wanting to buy another engine so I want to put in what ever you recommend. Unless you think y'all can fix a 88 iron duke oil balancer my engine is still good but my balancer blew up and destroyed the crank sprocket as well. I've been looking for 6 months and I've had no luck finding a oil balancer or crank sprocket?
Rodney Dickman used to sell new 88 duke balancers. I don't know if he has any left, though. In any case, you're probably better off with a new engine. Jennifer Goss of MAFOA had some brand new '93 dukes, if I recall correctly.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 07:05:55 pm »
Rodney Dickman used to sell new 88 duke balancers. I don't know if he has any left, though. In any case, you're probably better off with a new engine. Jennifer Goss of MAFOA had some brand new '93 dukes, if I recall correctly.

I bought the last 93 motor to put in my car. Haven’t picked it up yet.

LostCause

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 11:35:13 pm »
It's a 5 speed manual I'm really looking for reliability honestly what ever is a good long lasting engine crate would be nice if someone has one for sell I'd be interested in that. also I'm a bit in the dark when it comes to swapping engines that aren't factory to the car but I'm willing to learn so I can get this car back on the road.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 04:37:34 pm »
It's a 5 speed manual I'm really looking for reliability honestly what ever is a good long lasting engine crate would be nice if someone has one for sell I'd be interested in that. also I'm a bit in the dark when it comes to swapping engines that aren't factory to the car but I'm willing to learn so I can get this car back on the road.
Do you want a crate engine or a used engine?
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 07:25:43 pm »
I am engine-swapping an 88 Duke/manual powertrain. My engine will be available, once I don't need it any more.
The down side is that it's going to be several months. I haven't even started mounting the swap engine to my spare cradle, yet. (The plan is to build it up, then do a hopefully quick cradle swap.)
The up side is that it's still in the car, and running, so you can hear it run or even drive it. I'll probably drive it to the club meeting, this weekend.
It has ~155K on the odo. I have only put a couple thousand miles on it since I bought it, so I have NO idea what's been done to it, prior to me buying it. (The suspension was completely shot, so I'm guessing only the bare minimum...)
I replaced the timing cover and crank seal, a while back. I can tell you that the timing gear looked good, when I had it apart, but I don't know if they start to look bad before they fail, or if they just frag, all at once. It still probably needs a rear main seal. But that should be the last leak, and will be an easy fix if you're swapping, anyway.
Take all that for what it's worth.

Edit - A bit of unsolicited advice. If I were looking for a replacement Duke engine, I would first try to acquire one of the crate engines like Ralph is buying. (Last I heard, there was one more left, but that was a while back. It could be gone by now.)
Barring that, I would look for an 87 VIN "R" Duke. (This includes the Fiero, as well as several FWD GM cars, including the 6000 and the Celebrity, I think.) The 87 has DIS ignition like the 88, but doesn't have the goofy force balancer that the later engines have. It will be nearly plug and play, with only minor differences. (Keep your old engine until the swap is done, in case you need to steal any sensors or fittings from the 88.) 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 07:59:39 pm by Raydar »

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 10:32:22 pm »
LostCause,

I sent you a message. Check your “My Messages” tab