Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fiero repair shop & Museum  (Read 16485 times)

88_4mula

Fiero repair shop & Museum
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:54:54 pm »

Tim R. Evans, 63, of Sanford, sits on one of more than 35 Pontiac Fieros that are located at his repair shop, dealership and museum called Fieros Forever Michigan, located at 357 Saginaw Road in Sanford.

SANFORD -- With Tim Evans' love for a vintage car, a building in which to repair them and space for a museum, a new sign has appeared in midtown Sanford: Fieros Forever Michigan.

"This has been six, seven years in the making. This building had been vacant and tumble-down for years," said Evans, who owns the building and repairs and sells Fieros on the premises at 357 Saginaw. "We had to start from scratch almost."

General Motors built Fieros from 1984 until the last cars rolled off the assembly line in July 1988.

"It was the first car General Motors did with this body style. It was built by Pontiac division," Evans said.

Before Evans could work on cars, Evans had to gut the building, remove gas tanks under the eye of state Department of Environmental Quality and spend about $10,000 revamping a former gas station and motorcycle shop, located in central Midland County.

"I put my new sign up about three weeks ago. Before that, it said Bob's Car Wash and people stopped in to see about a car wash," said Evans, an architect who supervised the green upgrade of the building from insulation to lighting.

The building and next door parking lot is jammed with 38 Fieros in "various stages of running," laughed Evans, 63.

The Fieros in nearly any color await repair.

"The Fiero had a steel chassis when it came off the line, and it was drivable with no body panels. It was then built with five body parts: the front, the back, the floor, the top and the doors," Evans said.

The frames were put through a "mill and drill" machine that put all the steel parts together with screws and welds on the flat parts and then the plastic panels were put on, Evans explained. Some were convertibles.

The engine is placed mid-car over the drive wheels under a roof-top roll bar.

The car used half the steel that other cars used, angering the steel companies, and it competed with the Corvette for style, Evans said.

"Half the car is not capable of rust," Evans said.

The earliest cars had four-cylinder engines and the later ones, six-cylinder. Evans said when the cars were tested with bigger engines, they outperformed Corvettes in proving ground races. They initially cost $8,000; by the last year, they cost $12,000 to $16,000.

In 1984, Fiero built the three pace cars for the Indianapolis 500.

About 2,000 replica pace cars were built for dealers to sell to the public and 30 were given to race officials. Collectors haved tracked 271 down, Evans said, pointing at his.
Evans also stores hoods, fenders, doors and replacement parts for the cars at his Sanford building.

His museum room features pictures, posters, collectibles, and more information of Fieros, their builders, their history and their models. Halki Aldikacti, GM engineer, is considered the father of the Fiero. Evans has his signature in one of his cars.

"I have people come in here and at shows telling me they worked on the Fiero line, or 'I worked on that part of the car,' " said Evans.

The museum is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays. Evans gets five or six calls a week to show it. The museum sells clothes from the Michigan Fieros club and is gearing up to monogram clothing. Evans also expects to expand into selling kit cars.

There are a handful of Fiero clubs in Michigan and others scattered throughout the country. In July, Fiero lovers came to Sanford for a Fieros cruise.
For the museum, call (989) 687-2905. For more Fiero information, visit michiganfieroclub.com.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Fiero repair shop & Museum
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 05:54:48 pm »
Wow.  Just read this.  I spoke with Tim.  His shop is open Fri-Sun.  He's a really nice guy.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 06:37:41 pm »
On page 27 of Have You Seen A Fiero Today?, pgackerman linked some pictures taken on his visit.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 07:11:35 am »

Tim is a nice guy.  Had a great time visiting the museum.
Then went to his house and set him up on Pennocks. 
He is not computer savy.

Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 07:59:43 am »
Most of the world isn't.  They figure they can power their computer on, get on facebook and youtube, they must be a computer genius.  So, they go to ITT, where they're told they are good for a starting salary of $100K, but they still can't open the case or identify ports, much less do anything technical.

Tim said he has an '87 SD4.  That'd be something to see.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 08:22:55 am »

He does.  There should be pics on the page FieroFool mentioned.
Also has an '87 convertible.

At least he did last year.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 06:18:22 pm »
I haven't heard from Tim recently.  Anyone else?

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 07:36:20 am »

Nope.  Didn't have time to make it to Sanford this trip.