Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Interior fuel door release lever  (Read 17041 times)

slowburn57

• View Profile
    • Culver Brothers Racing
Interior fuel door release lever
« on: February 27, 2011, 03:05:02 pm »
The piece that the cable slides into has broken in my daughters 1987 coupe and I can't seem to find one. If anyone has one please let me know what they would take  for it. I live in Powder Springs.

Thanks

Joe Culver
slowburn57@aol.com

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Interior fuel door release lever
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 04:14:03 pm »
There is an 86 still on the lot at the Lithonia PullAPart.  There's little left on the car, but the cable and release handle are still there.  I do think you have to get inside the body panel to replace it, though.  In the meantime, you can use a credit card to open the filler door. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 05:51:21 pm »
If the one at Pull-Apart is gone, let me know, I just took mine out today when I swapped panels, so I have a spare.
Life is good!

slowburn57

• View Profile
    • Culver Brothers Racing
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 06:27:25 pm »
Thanks guys. Yeah you have to take the back inside panel off to get to the release lever assembly. Was hoping someone had one they had already took out and want to sell. Do you have a phone number or address for that Pull-a part lot?

Thanks again

Joe

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 07:02:55 pm »
It's www.pullapart.com   At the upper right you can click on location and see the 3 Atlanta yards.  Atlanta North is on Buford Highway between Duluth and Norcross.  South is off Moreland Avenue and I-285.  East is off Lithonia Industrial near Stone Mountain-Lithonia Road. 

When I said you had to remove a body panel, I was talking about the rear upper clip.  I am thinking there's a saddle clip that holds the cable to the body.  The Don could tell you since he just removed his body panels. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 08:12:35 pm »
Option 1: (PullApart)
The entire panel needs to come off, which means big torque bolt at the top for the seat belt. Then if you carefully pry away the panel, it should snap out of the clips. Once the panel is out of the way, you can pull the cable back with some pliers and dis-engage it from the lever mechanism.
The entire lever mechanism can then be removed by one phillips screw at the top, and the bottom of the mechanism sort of just slides into the frame, so just lift it upwards after removing the screw and you should be good.

Option 2: (My Fiero)
Come over to mt place and I'll show you exactly how to do it on mine, as my interior panels are still off and I have access to the lever to show you. Then you can just buy my spare and save yourself at least half the work.  ;D

Panels are going back in Tuesday though, so you'd have to make haste.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 11:34:20 pm by Don »
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 07:57:08 am »
When I said remove a panel, I was talking about the outside body skin.  The rear clip.  I thought there was a clamp on the outside of the frame right behind the quarter window that required removing the outside body skin to access.  Glad I was wrong. 

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 08:05:17 am »
The cable is actually held to the body under the left sail, but one doesn't need access to it to get the release lever out
Life is good!

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 04:23:54 pm »
Thanks guys. Yeah you have to take the back inside panel off to get to the release lever assembly. Was hoping someone had one they had already took out and want to sell. Do you have a phone number or address for that Pull-a part lot?

Thanks again

Joe

PM sent
Life is good!