Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Traded my BROKEN Zero Turn Mower for a 86GT w/ 92k miles  (Read 58749 times)

jwrape

• View Profile
Re: Traded my BROKEN Zero Turn Mower for a 86GT w/ 92k miles
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2012, 01:10:09 pm »
Where did you get the complete white face plates for the 120 cluster, aux and HVAC?

\D

http://www.whitegauges.net/categories/Pontiac/Fiero/
86GT Automaic 2.8L, 05, G35, 96 MZ3

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2012, 07:10:09 am »
Well I'm getting closer to painting the entire car piece by piece.
I have the hood and the driverside fender done.
The past couple days I have been working on the Deck Lid and I painted the passenger side headlight cover to see how it would turn out.
So far it looks great.
I am waiting for the fiberglass and then Putty to dry to fill the spoiler holes. I plan to re-install the wing but at a further back position.

I am also considering figuring out a Duck bill spoiler instead. But I am not sure at this time which I will choose.

THe Light lid turned out BEAUTIFUL

I have also started working on fiberglassing for the first time EVER. I am attempting to mount Trans Am Heat Extractor gills into my side lower quarters. So far it's going well. I will see when I start removing extra Fiber glass and adding filler to make them look right. Fiberglass is a strange animal.

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2012, 07:13:06 am »
Question: What type of filler should I use over the Fiberglass to smooth it and contour it?

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2012, 03:38:20 pm »
I hate to tell you this but you're going about most everything all wrong.  That red putty is air dry, right? Get rid of it. Did you use 'Vette panel adhesive/filler with some 'glass mixed in to fill the holes?
I would never fiberglass on the plastic 1/4 panels. And never ever put any kind of filler or 'glass over paint or primer. Are the T/A vents plastic too? If so you might get away with an adhesive designed for the RRIM 1/4s.
Have you seen this? http://gafieroclub.org/bbs/index.php?topic=469.0 Also there are lots of threads I've posted in on PFF on how to fill the decklid holes & other fiberglass/body questions. You can do a search with my username to find them.
You're welcome to come by & use my shop & tools & I'll help you decide on the best way to go about what you're doing.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2012, 06:48:06 am »
I hate to tell you this but you're going about most everything all wrong.  That red putty is air dry, right? Get rid of it. Did you use 'Vette panel adhesive/filler with some 'glass mixed in to fill the holes?
I would never fiberglass on the plastic 1/4 panels. And never ever put any kind of filler or 'glass over paint or primer. Are the T/A vents plastic too? If so you might get away with an adhesive designed for the RRIM 1/4s.
Have you seen this? http://gafieroclub.org/bbs/index.php?topic=469.0 Also there are lots of threads I've posted in on PFF on how to fill the decklid holes & other fiberglass/body questions. You can do a search with my username to find them.
You're welcome to come by & use my shop & tools & I'll help you decide on the best way to go about what you're doing.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Yea, I just figered out that the Fiberglass on the TA Vents isn't gonna work. It's not holding.

The Holes on the Deck Lid is fiberglassed under the putty. The putty was to even out the uneven surface. There is very little putty left after sanding.
THe holes turned out well and you can't really even see that they were ever there. The Fiberglass in the holes should work perfectly.

I will definately grab some Corvette filler for future and re-start.

The T/A vents are fiberglass or something similar, not plastic.

It is my first Fiberglass experience but I am learning. Thanks for the information.

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2012, 03:44:47 am »
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Yea, I just figered out that the Fiberglass on the TA Vents isn't gonna work. It's not holding.

The Holes on the Deck Lid is fiberglassed under the putty. The putty was to even out the uneven surface. There is very little putty left after sanding.
THe holes turned out well and you can't really even see that they were ever there. The Fiberglass in the holes should work perfectly.

I will definately grab some Corvette filler for future and re-start.

The T/A vents are fiberglass or something similar, not plastic.

It is my first Fiberglass experience but I am learning. Thanks for the information.
The problem with fiberglass on the SMC (I assume you used polyester resin) is that it doesn't stick as well as the 'Vette shtuff. The putty, even if used very sparingly, will shrink or swell when painted over, ruining all your hard work.
If you have questions just ask. The link I posted above has all the right materials for the different parts on the Fiero.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2012, 06:43:06 am »
Thank you for your help. I will have to get the right stuff and give it a try

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2012, 02:23:24 pm »
GOt this lovely jewel coming in the mail for $17.50 on EBay...
I need more storage and a place to set little things. This should help.

I had been looking around for one and finally saw this one on eBay.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2012, 02:42:37 pm »
I've seen them in "OldOne"'s Fiero and have speculated getting one from TFS, they carry them also, for around $20

Very practical

\D
Life is good!

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2012, 06:07:15 am »
I've seen them in "OldOne"'s Fiero and have speculated getting one from TFS, they carry them also, for around $20

Very practical

\D

Oh, didn't know they were there. Well at least I didn't over pay. LOL. I figured $17.50 was a decent price.  ;D

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2012, 07:04:50 am »
Rear Deck Painted, still need to wet sand and re-spray another coat

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2012, 04:56:41 pm »
What kind of paint are you using?  You shouldn't have to sand between coats - unless you're using single stage metallic which is hard to sand & buff without screwing up the metallic.
Really you shouldn't be using single stage at all (if you are). Base/clear is not that expensive (for decent quality Dupont Nason if you're on a tight budget) & it provides UV protection to avoid fading & color breakdown.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 14, 2012, 06:12:19 am »
What kind of paint are you using?  You shouldn't have to sand between coats - unless you're using single stage metallic which is hard to sand & buff without screwing up the metallic.
Really you shouldn't be using single stage at all (if you are). Base/clear is not that expensive (for decent quality Dupont Nason if you're on a tight budget) & it provides UV protection to avoid fading & color breakdown.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

I do sand in between, but it's Rustoleum.

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2012, 06:51:24 am »
Added a LED Flasher the other day and that little Flasher made the blinkers work perfectly. Should have done that a long time ago. Works perfectly.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2012, 07:13:11 pm »
Did you leave the standard bulbs and just change out the flasher unit?  What are the benefits and effect of doing this? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers