Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: THREADS ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING  (Read 93453 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: THREADS ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING
« Reply #315 on: October 29, 2019, 10:09:19 pm »
Today, in Estes Park.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #316 on: October 29, 2019, 10:36:57 pm »
The last time I was right there, the street was full of Elk.  One was standing at the window of a pizza parlor as if begrudging someone's pizza.  The little park to the right in town was also full of elk as was just about every part of the town.  Oddly, we never saw a single elk while we were up on the mountain ridges. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 29, 2019, 10:38:27 pm »
No elk, today.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 30, 2019, 09:16:44 pm »
Here you go.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 03, 2019, 08:32:35 am »
The left rear tire on one of my ATVs has a leak.  I did not feel inclined to use a jack in the limited space, so just placed the jackstand near the axle on that side, and lifted the back of the ATV, until the axle set on the jack stand.  Before I could chock the wheels, some guy who was walking his dog stopped by to tell me I was doing it wrong (dangerously).  Maybe.  The jack stand has a curved top, so the axle sets in that depression.  The guy's point was that the ATV should have been jacked up--not lifted, and I was using the wrong equipment.

I told him thanks, I was busy, and please help or move along.  Since I was also cleaning the mower, I handed him a bunch of dirty stuff.  He moved along.

My opinion is that it's an ATV.  Whatever I did to remove the tire is far less strenuous than the workout it gets while being ridden.  I lifted by the rear axle, so that I did not have to lift past the extension of the suspension.  The total weight of this bike is about 450 pounds, so not very heavy.  The 2-ton jack/stand should be more than adequate.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re:Familar Names But Different Faces
« Reply #320 on: November 11, 2019, 03:05:54 pm »
Was just sitting here watching a news segment about a couple who babysit dogs for people who are deployed.  Didn't get the wife's name, but the husband was Steve Hamilton.  And get this:  The dog's name was Radar. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 11, 2019, 06:55:45 pm »
Coinkydink.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 11, 2019, 09:31:13 pm »
"Where we're going, we don't need..."

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 21, 2019, 07:46:40 pm »
It rained a lot, today, so I did on-call.  I drove the 1-ton and parked by a shopping center, where I worked remotely.  Lots of vehicles stalled in the street.  If they asked, I pulled them out of the water for $60 cash, in advance.  17 toyotas, and 3 nissans.  Not bad for a day's work.

If they didn't want to pay, they could wait for the tow truck.

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 22, 2019, 10:29:29 am »
How nice of you to do that........

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 22, 2019, 06:46:44 pm »
Actually, yes.

Some years ago, I pulled these people out for free.  I was trying to go somewhere, and they were blocking the road.  The water is anywhere from 3" to 1.5' deep.  Who drives into that with a car?  Usually, they complained about how long I was taking, how cold it was outside, how inconvenient this was, etc.  One particular woman started calling me names, and told me I was a bad person, because of the type of vehicle I drove.  Since I was in my dress clothes, laying on my back in cold, dirty water, using my vehicle to move theirs, for free, I got tired of this.  I told that particular woman she could wait, and drove over the curb around her.  There is a difference between these people and me.  She was right about that.

Several times, residents have voted against fixing this issue, on environmental grounds.  Signs have been placed, to remind drivers not to drive into water on the road.  They persist.  For any drivers that choose to drive into the water, this is totally their own fault.  They can wait for hours for a company to tow them, or, they can choose to pay a stupidity tax, and get pulled out.

It is actually illegal to block the road, so they can wait for a tow truck, and the city will give them a ticket.  If they wait to get towed, unless they have AAA, it is at least $60 to have the truck hook up, plus a 10-mile minimum.  The ticket is at least $25.  Of course, it was their choice to drive into the water.  It was their choice to engage me to pull their vehicle out, and to pay me--a private individual--to do so.  I did not charge more for nasty things they said to me, or for drivers that were in deeper water.  The fee was up front, so I was not gouging them.  Driving the 1-ton does cost a lot.  Of course, the tow truck is usually at least $90, to do the same thing I did.  Most of these people do not have AAA.  Heck, some do not have a license or collision insurance.

Usually, the tow truck drivers get these people when there is nothing else, because most of the people waste time complaining and refusing to pay.  Ultimately, the people who do not have their vehicles removed by the end of the day get towed to an impound yard.  The costs accumulate.  As my children have learned, cascading failures.

Sure, I could ignore these people, and just drive around them (on the sidewalk), leaving them to their own devices and the financial responsibilities their decisions incurred.  Instead, this took more than 6 hours of my day.  I'm sure the vehicles that weren't held up by these people appreciated the efforts of those of us clearing the road.

Yesterday, it was 37 degrees outside.  I got soaked and filthy, because I was helping these people.  Today, I have a cold.  If I do this again, my rates are going up.  As I stated, the 1-ton is not cheap to operate; at more than $60,000 to purchase, if taxes, fuel, and maintenance are factored in, it costs about $0.60 per mile, or $36 per hour, IF I get at least 300,000 miles out of it.  So, my cost was $216, plus the cost to get there and back home.  My costs to operate the truck yesterday were $288.

When water is an issue for a week or so, the people who do landscaping, recycling, and plowing will handle this, but for a single day, it isn't worth it, for them.  There were 8 or 9 other trucks working alongside me.  My rate was as low as any other rate I heard.

If I choose to do something for free, that is up to me.  They shouldn't expect that.  I will not work for free, and be berated for doing so, by the very people I'm helping.

The city actually requests help from individuals, and the police do not ticket drivers who have paid to be towed.

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 23, 2019, 10:35:58 am »
Again....How nice of you to do that........

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 25, 2019, 06:56:41 pm »
A new CEO started today.  I've known him for about 12 years, and was invited to lunch at a restaurant (Olive Garden).  This guy is from Romania.  After everyone had ordered, the guy looked around at each of us, and said, "Business first.  First, you are all paying for this lunch.  Second, I want you all to know that I have reviewed the files of each and every one of you.  When your meal is served, anyone who got romaine lettuce is fired."

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #328 on: November 25, 2019, 07:29:26 pm »
???  That one went over my head faster than an F16.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 25, 2019, 07:41:27 pm »
Maybe romaine lettuce is from Romaina.  Who knows?  The idea was that he is an American, now.  Apparently, people like to brown-nose.  He was nipping that in the bud.

I gathered that that was meant as a joke.

I work for a different company, so he cannot actually fire me.  Everyone else there (including the new CEO) is hired and fired by a board.  As for the meal, it was paid for by the company.